This article appeared in the Summer 1967 (Issue #8) edition of the Kent Archaeological Review.
Permission should be sought from the Honorary editor (in writing) to reproduce or quote from articles in the K A R.
The CKA and the Honorary Editor are not responsible for opinions and statements expressed by contributors to the K A R.
The site of the very large monastic church at Faversham, uncovered during the extensive emergency excavations in 1965, now forms part of the playing-fields of the new Faversham Grammar School. The remains of the nave, transept, quire and royal chapel are covered by some two or more feet of soil and this should afford some degree of protection. The extreme west end of the nave and the extant west front are, however, to be exposed as permanent features of the site. The Kent County Council has already cleared the debris from the west end and turfed the areas of the aisles and nave. The small, circular tower built against the external face of the south wall during the 15th century has also been exposed. The work of consolidation will be carried out in consultation with the Ministry of Public Building and Works. There is at present no public access to the site.
The monastery was founded by King Stephen in 1147 and work began in 1148. The church, designed to be both a conventual house and a royal mausoleum, suffered a number of structural alterations before its demolition in 1540. The actual site of the church and claustral buildings had been unknown prior to the excavations.