This article appeared in the Autumn 1967 (Issue #9) edition of the Kent Archaeological Review.
Permission should be sought from the Honorary editor (in writing) to reproduce or quote from articles in the K A R.
The CKA and the Honorary Editor are not responsible for opinions and statements expressed by contributors to the K A R.
Faversham Archaeological Research Group.
A recent note (Kent Archaeological Review, Number 7, page 20), reported that stratified layers of Romano-British occupation debris had been discovered in a field just north of Watling Street, about one mile west of Ospringe (NGR 5992 1611). It was suggested that this might be the site of the Romano-British settlement of Durolevum.
If similar material were to be found on the south side of the road it would provide further evidence for the existence of a minor settlement in this area. With this in mind, trial excavations were carried out jointly with the Sittingbourne Group.
The excavations revealed stratified layers, which extended 175 feet in a southward direction and across the width of the field, which was 491 feet. The majority of the pottery found was of late second and third century date, similar to that previously found on the opposite side of the road. The stratification indicated two phases of occupation, but the determination of the time lag between the phases must await expert examination of the sherds.
This excavation confirms and extends the previous findings, that a minor settlement existed on both sides of Watling Street in this area during the second and third centuries AD.