Skip to Content.

Kent Archaeological Review extract
 

Chesil House, Chislehurst (Bromley) --
Building Preservation Order -- Confirmed!.
by Miss E Myott.
(West Kent Border Archaeological Group.)

The Group is pleased to be able to report that the Minister of Housing and Local Government has now confirmed the Preservation Order on Chesil House.

The CBA gave notice in 1966 of the owner's proposal to demolish the house and to erect flats. The Group immediately lodged its opposition to the scheme in writing with Bromley Council and photographed various aspects of the building. It then invited Mr K Gravett to prepare a report on the house which he kindly did at short notice. He reported that the house displayed strong Palladian influence and dated from about 1770. It has a red brick frontage in flemish bond with gauged brickwork over Venetian windows. The sashes of the windows are separated by fluted pilasters and the porch is supported on two pilasters, all fluted and with Renaissance Ionic capitals.

The Bromley Council considered the demolition proposal and the objections and agreed to recommend a BPO. This decision was later confirmed by the Greater London Council as the overall authority.

The Minister in his letter confirming the Preservation Order says that he "is in no doubt that Chesil House, an unusually fine example of Georgian domestic architecture, is a building of special architectural interests for the purposes of Section 30 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1962."

It is highly encouraging to note the greatly increased interest and concern shown by the new Bromley Council in matters of archaeological and historical importance. In the past year the Council has financed the excavation and consolidation of the Roman tombs at Keston and recommended BPO's for Chesil House and the Rookery, St Mary Cray.

 
Close Window
Accessed this page via search engine or bookmark? Full K A R Index here.