This article appeared in the August 1968 (Issue #13) edition of the Kent Archaeological Review.
Permission should be sought from the Honorary editor (in writing) to reproduce or quote from articles in the K A R.
The CKA and the Honorary Editor are not responsible for opinions and statements expressed by contributors to the K A R.
The Faversham Report.
The first research report by the KARGC, dealing with excavations at Faversham in 1965, was published as scheduled on 18th May, 1968. A special presentation copy of the book, prepared by the Borough of Faversham, was presented to HRH Princess Alexandra by the Mayor of Faversham at a civic reception held on 16th May. The Princess was at Faversham to open the new grammar school now named 'Queen Elizabeth's School.' The original grammar school at Faversham was set up in Faversham Abbey at the bequest of Dr. John Cole in 1527. Indeed it was during the opening stages of the work on the new school that the emergency excavations which revealed the large royal abbey, Roman villa and Belgic farmstead, were undertaken in January and July 1965.
An exhibition of finds from the three sites was held at Faversham on 18th May to launch the publication. Nearly 1,000 people saw the exhibits which included scaled plans, photographs of the excavations and detailed drawings used for the publication. Members of the Faversham, Reculver. Sittingbourne and West Kent Groups all helped with the displays and a special detachment of the First Cohort of Baetasii paraded in the town in full costume.
1 Denmark Road,
Kent (BR1 3AB).
Price: 40/- per copy (carriage free). Make payable to KARGC.