Skip to Content.

Kent Archaeological Review extract
 

Ash Villa.
by Roger Walsh.
(Fawkham and Ash Archaeological Group.)

Excavations which have continued since May have exposed the foundation trench of the cast wall of the villa which was completely robbed during the previous excavation in 1914. The plan which was published in VCH showed buttresses at the northeast and southeast corners but no evidence of these could be found. The average wall thickness was found to be 29 inches and the construction was of flint and undressed chalk blocks laid in mud and clay. The overall width of the Villa is 50 feet 2 inches.

Unfortunately the exact position of the eastern doorway was not apparent as the foundation trench was continuous and the infill uniform. However the position of one small buttress and some external features enabled us to infer the position was as shown on the earlier plan with a width in the region of five feet.

External features included a small kiln which had been subsequently used as a rubbish pit and the scattered remains of an outhouse, nine feet wide and thirteen feet long which had been almost completely ploughed out.

Internally a central small gully was found which had silted up during the occupation and traces of partition walls, running parallel arid only five feet distant from the North and South walls, may indicate that this end of the Villa comprised an open courtyard flanked by narrow lean-to type corridors or rooms.

Work is at present proceeding on the West end of the Villa where there is a complex of small rooms, and we hope to publish a more detailed interim report and plan in the next edition of the Review.

Ash Romano-British Villa: an Interim Report (issue 20, Summer 1970).

 
Close Window
Accessed this page via search engine or bookmark? Full K A R Index here.