This article appeared in the Spring 1970 (Issue #19) edition of the Kent Archaeological Review.
Permission should be sought from the Honorary editor (in writing) to reproduce or quote from articles in the K A R.
The CKA and the Honorary Editor are not responsible for opinions and statements expressed by contributors to the K A R.
Darenth Roman Villa.
The large-scale emergency excavation undertaken at Darenth last summer was reported in the last issue of the Review (page 18). At Easter, 1969, a detached bath-building was excavated at the south end of the complex uncovered by George Payne in 1894-5. In June a bulldozer hit yet another Roman building to the south-west and this was the subject of the emergency work in late June and July. Members of Groups from all over Kent took part in the work and the project was financed by the Ministry of Public Buildings and Works.
As a supplement to the printed report in the last Review an overall site-plan is now published to show the relationship of the various buildings. A quick glance at the scale will show readers the enormous size of the complex. (Plan drawn by Jennie Lock. The details of the earlier work are taken from. Archaeologia, Vol. lix, page 219).