This article appeared in the Summer 1975 (Issue #40) edition of the Kent Archaeological Review.
Permission should be sought from the Honorary editor (in writing) to reproduce or quote from articles in the K A R.
The CKA and the Honorary Editor are not responsible for opinions and statements expressed by contributors to the K A R.
ARCHAEOLOGICAL WORD PUZZLE NUMBER 5.
Working from the top left hand corner, up and down each column, taking the last letter of each answer as the first of the next.
- Walks into the gallery in a trouser suit -- 10
- This raven wears the laurels -- 5
- I heat the ramp for the gladiatorial show -- 12
- OKYRIXHQ ! -- 8
- This stands alone from the women hirer -- 6
- Build a wall as an end of term event -- 9
- The veterans of the third -- 7
- A toiling design -- 8
- The third of the seventh employs this unit -- 4
- Naturally an artistic chore -- 5
ANSWERS TO PUZZLE NUMBER 4.
(* = anagram).
Across.1. CNFRM; Cunieform *
5. STRT; Astarte
6. NSL; lnsulae
8. SRSNS; Sarsens
9. CRNTN; Car-i-nation
10. DMT; Demetae
12. BSDN; Obsidian
13. HNNBL; Hannibal ... (ad portus).
Down.1. CTN; Actaeon;
2. FBL; Fibula
3. MSTRN; Mousterian
4. CRNNTM; Carnuntum
7. SCRMSX; Scramasax *
8. STTNH; Sutton Hoo
10. DDN; Dodona
11. TTL; Attila *