Kent Archaeological Review extract

A Homestead Moat at devil's Den, Edenbridge.
by Alan Dell, Neil Lake and Peter Couldrey.
(A joint project by the Edenbridge Historical Society and the Kent Archaeological Rescue Unit.)

In March, 1975 a survey of Devil's Den, Edenbridge (NGR TQ 4381 4521) was carried out by members of the Edenbridge Historical Society and the Kent Unit. This was done with the ready consent of the owner, Mr N M Barron, of Skeynes Farm.

The site, of about a third of an acre, is situated on a gravel river-terrace about half a mile south-west of Edenbridge and 23 metres north of the river Eden. It is recorded as probably having belonged to Gilbert de Clare in the 14th century, but it could be of earlier origin. See Footnote [1]

It consists of a well-defined rectangular mound measuring 41.5 metres by 38 metres, laid out on a main east-west axis. The mound is enclosed by a moat and is itself raised, probably by spoil from the moat, about half a metre above the level of the surrounding land. Access to the mound is by an ill-defined causeway at the south-west corner, though this is possibly not original. A bridge in the centre of one side may have existed. The mound is now heavily wooded and there is no visible sign of internal structures.

DRAWING: Plan of Homestead Moat at Devil's Den, Edenbridge.

Plan of Homestead Moat at Devil's Den, Edenbridge.

The moat, which is water-filled and considerably silted, has an average width of nine metres except along the south side where it is reduced to about eight metres. The depth of water varied from about 1.5 metres on the south and east sides to about 20 centimetres in the north-west corner. A drain in the south-east corner serves to remove surplus water.


Footnote 1.

History of Edenbridge. By Somers-Cooks (1912), page 37. Return to the paragraph.
Close Window
Accessed this page via search engine or bookmark? Full K A R Index here.