This article appeared in the Summer 1976 (Issue #44) edition of the Kent Archaeological Review.
Permission should be sought from the Honorary editor (in writing) to reproduce or quote from articles in the K A R.
The CKA and the Honorary Editor are not responsible for opinions and statements expressed by contributors to the K A R.
Roman Building at Wilmington Rediscovered.
In the summer of 1975 a small section of the 'missing' Roman building at Wilmington, near Dartford, was relocated after a space of nearly 90 years. It was first recorded in 1889 as being 150 yards south-east of the Orange Tree public-house. Although the area is now largely built-up a small area of waste ground provided an opportunity for a trial excavation at the bottom of private gardens only about 150 feet S E of the Orange Tree. This revealed two partially robbed flint walls, three rectangular tile bases and limited amounts of pottery.
Members of the public visited the site in October when the hard work and good humour of the new Dartford Group was much appreciated. Whatever the precise function of these walls they provide a useful addition to the growing list of known Roman buildings in West Kent.