This article appeared in the Spring 1966 (Issue #3) edition of the Kent Archaeological Review.
Permission should be sought from the Honorary editor (in writing) to reproduce or quote from articles in the K A R.
The CKA and the Honorary Editor are not responsible for opinions and statements expressed by contributors to the K A R.
Further Saxon Remains at Orpington.
Following the recent discovery of a Saxon cemetery at Orpington, by Mr P J Tester (published in the Newsletter) it is interesting to record another Saxon find from the same area.
During the excavation of the Roman Villa at Orpington, between 1952 and 1957, the present chairman of the Orpington Historical Society, Mr A C Hart, found a silver-mounted iron knife of late-Saxon date. This was firmly stratified between the post-Roman ground-level and the mortar debris resulting from wall-robbing for the nearby Saxon church at Orpington (circa AD 1031).