Visit to the Fort Amherst Heritage Park and Caverns,
7th September 2003.
On a warm Sunday afternoon in September, some 20 Friends of the CKA enjoyed a guided tour around the Napoleonic Fortress of Fort Amherst, built in the 18th century to protect the Royal Dockyard at Chatham from a land-based attack.
Originally over 3 kilometres in length, today some 2 kilometres of the defences still exist, owned by Fort Amherst and Lines Trust. The Trust was formed in 1980 and has opened much of the fort to the public.
Construction of the fort began in 1756, but by 1812 the threat of invasion had disappeared and from then on the Fort became a training facility for siege warfare.
The fort saw a brief revival during the two World Wars, but after WWII the site declined and was purchased from the MOD in 1980 -- opening to the public in 1983. The restoration project continues today.
Information from A Short Guide to Fort Amherst by Keith Gulvin.