You are here:CROFTON ROMAN VILLA
Crofton Roman Villa
About the Villa.
The Crofton Roman Villa house was occupied from about AD 140 to 400 and was the centre of a farming estate of about 500 acres. Nearby would have been farm buildings, surrounded by fields, meadows and woods.
The house was altered several times during its 260 years of occupation and at its largest probably had at least 20 rooms.
The remains of ten rooms can be seen today, now within a modern cover building. Two rooms contain the remains of their opus signinum (concrete) floors, and three have evidence of tessellated (tiled) floors. Details of the under-floor central heating (hypocaust) can be seen, which features both channelled and pillared systems.
See 'The Villa Story'
What's provided at the Villa.
- Guided talk/recorded commentary on the villa by an archaeologist;
- Graphic displays of the excavations and villa
- The Touch Table with a selection of Roman finds from the excavation for handling;
- Replica Roman everyday objects, including pots, jewellery, lamps and writing tablets;
- Activities for children -- Roman games to play, mosaic making, dressing up as Romans and digging for finds in the excavation tray;
- Roman soldier 'rubbings';
- Gift shop selling guide books, postcards, souvenirs and books on local archaeology;
- SPECIAL activity workshops for Schools. Two hour sessions. (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday) £3 per child.
- SPECIAL Facility for Societies. Sunday afternoons 1st of each month. Special guided tour of Roman villa for pre-booked societies and groups (minimum 20) by the excavation director, Brian Philp. Normal charges apply, plus a donation to KARU.
Excavation and Preservation.
The site was fully excavated by the Kent Archaeological Rescue Unit which also carried out the complete preservation scheme, with funding provided by Bromley Council.
The Unit now manages the scheme in conjunction with the Council.
Where are we?
Bus routes: 61, 208 353,R2 and R7.
Car Parking available off York Rise
2nd April to 30th October 2019.
|DAY OF THE WEEK.||OPENING TIMES.|
Tuesdays & Wednesdays:
Last entry 3pm.
|10am to 1pm &
2 to 3.30 pm.
|Sundays: (1st in the month only) (includes guided tour by an archaeologist.) Last entry 4pm.||
2 to 4.30pm.
Bank Holiday Mondays:
Last entry 3pm.
10am to 1pm &
2 to 3.30pm.
ADMISSION: Adults £1.50; Concessions £1.00;
Family £4.00 (4 people inc. children -- additional child 50p)
Access for people with disabilities.
Staffed by the Kent Archaeological Rescue Unit (KARU).
Information and Bookings.
Kent Archaeological Rescue Unit
18 Highfield Avenue
Information for Schools (2019).
Villa brochure and poster.
The 2019 Poster.
2019 Crofton Villa Poster. NEW
The 2019 Crofton Villa brochure.
(Please note that there is nothing in the brochure that is not in these Crofton Roman Villa pages and elsewhere on the site.)
2019 Crofton Villa leaflet. NEW