Despite a forecast of rain, some 30 Friends of the CKA enjoyed unbroken sunshine during their visit to the historic sites in the Kent village of Kemsing.
The visit began with a tour in and around The Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin.
Decorative wall covering.
Memorials date back as far as 1665.
An unusual crinkle-crankle wall marks the southern boundary of the churchyard.
The Madonna roundal dates from around 1220 and is one of the treasures of the church.
Inside the church.
Among the decorative wall cover is a piece of Roman Opus Signinum. A Roman bathhouse is known to exist on the outskirts of the village (excavated by KARU in the '70s).
The Friends manage to vacate the church area just in time for the wedding to take place!
The tour then continued along the High Street to the Ancient Well, dedicated to St. Edith (born in Kemsing in 961 AD), looking at the listed buildings along the way.