FRIENDS OF C.K.A.
VISIT to OARE GUNPOWDER MILLS,
Bysing Wood Road,
On SATURDAY, 17th JUNE, 2006
The first FCKA visit for 2006 has been arranged to Oare Gunpowder Mills, Bysing Wood Road, Faversham on Saturday, 17th June. All paid-up Friends are most welcome to join in -- just turn up on the day!
This is one of the finest such sites in Britain and has been recently restored by Groundwork Medway and Swale Borough Council with inspiration for the project coming from the Faversham Society.
C.K.A.'s Industrial Archaeology Officer, Jim Preston, will guide Friends around the site, which includes woodland trails, narrow-gauge canals, streams, the remains of danger houses, 1926 mill and a Visitor Centre. The Works were started by Huguenot refugees in 1684 and remained in operation until 1934.
Meet at 2.30pm at the site's car-park (the site is off the B2045, reached via the M2 and A2.).
MAPLET for a F.C.K.A. VISIT
to OARE GUNPOWDER WORKS, FAVERSHAM
on 17th JUNE, 2006 (meet at car park at 2.30pm)
If approaching from the A2 take the Western Link Road at the Syndale Roundabout. Oare Gunpowder Works can be found by taking the first turning left into Bysing Wood Road and turn right onto the track in front of a MOT garage after about 200 yards, Follow the track to the car park. There are sign